A stuffed alligator caused a panic in Moriyama

On October 30, a local resident informed Moriyama City Office that he had found an alligator in a waterway in Imajuku 1-chome, Moriyama. The city officials dispatched to the scene found the reptile which was 90 centimeters in length. Together with police officers and Animal Protection and Control Center officials, they captured the alligator, which later turned out to be a stuffed one.

When Hideyuki Tanaka, a 37-year-old Moriyama city official, heard of the first report, he thought that he would have to prevent the alligator from hurting anyone in the local community. He then rushed to the scene with his colleagues, holding a long net and a hammer. He requested the neighboring elementary schools and kindergartens not to let children go out for a while, and asked Animal Protection and Control Center to help him handle the situation.

Having been advised not to let the alligator escape to a larger river, Tanaka and his colleagues kept an eye on the reptile for almost one hour until police officers and Animal Protection officials came to the scene.

When the alligator was captured by the net, it didn't move. "This is a stuffed alligator," Tanaka looked blank.

The stuffed alligator is currently in a plastic bag and kept at the city office. No one knows whether the alligator was dumped or carried by the recent typhoon. In either case, it will be handled as garbage.

(Asahi Shimbun, October 31, 2013) 



Shiga incurred 5-billion-yen damage from Typhoon 18

Prefectural Government estimates that Shiga incurred approximately 5-billion-yen damage from Typhoon 18 which destroyed roads, bridges, and riverbanks. Almost 1,000 buildings have suffered flood damages and the infrastructure such as water-supply has not been restored in numerous areas.

According to Prefectural Government, the number of flooded houses is 938, including 257 cases of inundation above floor level. As of September 19, water supply was still cut off in 4 cities which are Takashima, Koka, Ritto, and Konan, affecting 509 citizens in Takashima and 350 citizens in Koka.

Central Nippon Expressway Company announced that Meishin Expressway's eastbound line from Yokaichi to Hikone, closed due to landslide, would be restored on September 21.

(Chunichi Shimbun, September 20, 2013)



Omi High School: a list of X-ray photos of 245 students was lost

It turned out that the Kinki Kenko Kanri Center, an inspection institution located in Otsu, had lost a list of X-ray photos of 245 students of Omi High School, sources say. 

The medical examination was conducted on April 10, and the Center reported to the Hikone-based private high school on April 26 about the fact that the Center had lost the list.   

There is a possibility that a staff member of the institution mistakenly disposed of the list that matched the photos. As abnormal symptoms were not found among the students, the school decided not to redo medical examination, for fear of exposure to X-rays affecting their health badly.

"We recognize this case as a serious mistake. We will take necessary measures to prevent the same problem from happening," commented a contact person of the Center.

(Sankei Shmbun, May 8, 2012)



Governor promised to give jobs to the sufferers from the disaster area

On March 20 at a gathering held in Otsu, Governor Kada unveiled her policy to give jobs preferentially to the sufferers who evacuated the disaster-hit area in Eastern Japan, referring to the prefecture's projects funded by Emergency Employment Act (EEA).

"The refugees have already arrived in Toyosato. When I talked with the mayor on the phone, he showed his concern regarding employment issues because those who will settle down need jobs. I promised that the prefecture would consider giving jobs preferentially to the sufferers," says Governor Kada.

Emergency Employment Measures Office, a division of the prefectural government, is exploring the possibility of hiring them as supplementary staff at the prefectural office. Since the EEA is designed to hire those who are officially unemployed, the prefecture is requesting that the central government deregulate its rule, which makes it possible to hire the refugees who are not officially unemployed.

(Kyoto Shimbun, March 20, 2011)

| | TrackBack (0)


Tohoku-Kanto Earthquake: Pref. Government dispatched its officials

The Shiga Prefectural Government dispatched 2 officials and relief goods to Fukushima Prefecture on March 14, aiming at assisting the disaster area.

The 2 officials, selected from Disaster and Crisis Management Bureau and Planning Coordination Division, will gather information about what kind of needs the earthquake-hit area has. They departed for Fukushima, followed by 2 trucks full of relief goods including 37,000 cookies and 6,700 sheets of blanket.

"Representing Shiga Prefecture as well as Kansai Unity, I will do my best to conduct prompt and proper assistance," says the official.

(Kyoto Shimbun, March 14, 2011)

| | TrackBack (0)


NZ earthquake: A Shiga University student confirmed safe.

Shiga University, located in  Hikone and Otsu, announced on February 24th that its student was safe regarding the recent New Zealand earthquake that struck Christchurch the day before. 20-year-old Hitomi Inoue, who has been studying at King's Education where the building was deeply damaged, belongs to Shiga Univesity's Department of Education.

According to the university, Inoue called her family and told them she was safe. Because King's Education listed her as one of the missing students, Shiga University decided to make the announcement.

Inoue is currently staying with her host family.

(Sankei Shimbun, February 25, 2011)

| | TrackBack (0)


Nagahama: Malfunction of a semi-automatic defibrillator reported

On February 18th, the Kohoku Local Firefighting Authority (KLFA), headquartered in Nagahama, announced that a semi-automatic defibrillator didn't work when a 69-year-old man was on the ambulance. The man died later at the hospital.

According to the KLFA, the man said he felt suffocated in the early morning on February 12th, and then his family member called for an ambulance. On the way to the hospital, an ambulanceman tried to use a semi-automatic defibrillator because of the cardiac arrest, but the equipment didn't work.

The defibrillator is TEC-2503, produced by Nihon Kohden Corp. The number of the same products used nationwide is 1060, so the corporation will inspect all of them.

(JijiPress, February 18, 2011)

| | TrackBack (0)


Traffic accidents deprived 78 people's lives in 2010

The Shiga Police Headquarters announced that traffic accidents deprived 78 people's lives in 2010, outnumbering the previous year. The number of traffic deaths had been decreasing in the past 5 years, but this trend was reversed last year.

The number of traffic accidents was 9,027, which increased by 175 compared to the previous year. Among them, 11,647 people were injured, which increased by 221. The largest population involved in the traffic deaths was people aged more than 65 years old: 37 people were killed.

(Mainichi Shimbun ,January 8, 2010)

| | TrackBack (0)


New flu: Pref. Government moves up its plan to stockpile medicines

After the first confirmed Influenza A (H1N1) case was reported in Shiga, Prefectural Government decided to speed up the procurement process of Tamiful. 105 million yen, including protective suits, inhalers and Tamiful will be proposed at the Prefectural Assembly held from May 28th to May 29th.

The SPG stockpiled 112 thousand Tamiful from 2006-2008. In the next three years, it is planning to purchase 262 thousand Tamiful.

(Mainichi Shimbun, May 22, 2009)

| | TrackBack (0)


New flu: The first confirmed case reported in Shiga

On May 20th, the Shiga Prefectural Government announced that a university student living in Otsu was infected with new flu. This is the first confirmed Influenza A (H1N1) case reported in Shiga. The number of cases reported in Japan has come to 236 in all.

According to the SPG, the 23-year-old student stayed in Kobe from May 15th to 18th. He became feverish on May 17th and went to a designated hospital in Otsu the following day. With taking Tamiflu, his condition has become stable.

(Yomiuri Shimbun, May 20, 2009)

| | TrackBack (0)